WHAT IS AGRITOURISM?
Agritourism is a growing international phenomenon. It is any tourist activity happening on a farm and linked to the farm's activities and attractions. This can include agricultural activities such as milking cows at the dairy, shearing wool, harvesting crops, culling herds, using agricultural implements, tasting and buying farm produce. Using the farm's resources for game viewing, birding, biking, hiking, fishing are all part of Agritourism. Boarding and lodging on the farm is a bonus but not a necessity.
An Agritourism farm must be a working farm. It offers farmers the opportunity to earn additional revenue with existing resources.
WHO IS AGRITOURISM AFRICA?
Agritourism Africa is the link between interested tourists and all the role players in Agritourism. It serves as an information hub highlighting tourism experience on farms across Africa, allowing local and international tourists to incorporate visits to these farms as part of their travel plans.
Agritourism Africa provides advice and guidance to it's members, assists members with marketing and promotions, and represents Agritourism at governmental, tourism and organized agricultural institutions.
This is not a booking portal; our core focus is on farmers, farming and combining this with tourism.
This is the only Agritourism Association in Africa, building a strong and recognizable brand that stands for integrity.
WHO CAN JOIN AGRITOURISM AFRICA?
Membership of Agritourism Africa is open to anyone with an interest in Agritourism. Any farmer or service provider who has a working farm that is tourism friendly. This includes:
- Tour Operators
- Tour Guides
- Agricultural service providers
- Any private sector or industry body or individual institution with an interest and mandate to support development of Agritourism in South Africa and Africa.
Annual membership fees are applicable.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS TO MEMBERS OF AGRITOURISM AFRICA?
- Marketing of members' farms, including social media marketing.
- Website listings of all farmer members with photographs and a detailed explanation of services / products on offer. (note: we are not a booking site)
- Written media articles by Jacqui Taylor, an Internationally Accredited Journalist.
- Free video footage by LensTracks. This footage can be used by members for marketing purposes. (T&C's apply)
- Educational presentations to interest groups about Agritourism.
- Consulting to farmer members telephonically or in writing to ensure the potential of Agritourism initiatives is realized.
- Representation at exhibitions and consumer shows.
- Regular communication with journalists and all media channels.
- Educational monthly newsletter on members sent to influential leaders and tourism companies.
HOW TO JOIN?
Sign up for Membership.
It's quick and easy to create a listing on Agritourism Africa. Describe your farm and accommodation, add photos and submit - visit Become a Member to get started.
HOW CAN YOU, AS A TOURIST, BECOME INVOLVED?
Agritourism Africa provides local and international tourists with an information portal to farms in South Africa and Africa that offer some or other form of tourist activity or attraction. We are unique in that we are the only Agritourism Association in South Africa.
To find out more about our farms - visit Explore Agritourism
A MEMBER OF