Becoming a member of the Association of Agritourism South Africa has several benefits:
The Benefits to members are:
Benefits for Tourism Industry/Operators
- To champion the development of the Agritourism sector in South Africa.
- To liaise with Agricultural and Tourism stakeholders on behalf of farmers
- Video footage is free for all members (T&C's apply)
- Website listings and Social Media Campaigns are free fro all members (note: we are not a booking site)
- Representation at trade and consumer shows
- Writing articles on behalf of farmers for National & International Publications
- Research conducted on behalf of farmers with regards to Agritourism
- Assist members with establishing tourism accommodation on farms (such as camp sites)
- Assist with enterprise development (such as innovative small-scale start-ups on the farm operated by the labour force and co-experiences aimed at visiting tourists
- Contributing to the Responsible and Sustainable Tourism Mandate of the South African Tourism Industry.
- Increasing the chances of providing a more diversified portfolio of tourism products and services for tourists.
- Introducing tourist routes and an increase in tourism flows into previously limited or untouched “ rural destinations”.
- Promotion and positioning of these rural destinations to key tourism markets
- Allowing for alternative tourist activities that could potentially fill a gap during traditionally off-peak business periods.
- Increasing the opportunity for local economic growth through international tourist interest e.g. volunteering programmes
Farm seasons differ from farm to farm depending on the type of farming in the geographical area. We have developed the website, so the tourism industry can directly contact the farmer to find out what months are best for Agritourism bookings. We are the only professional body in South Africa that focuses on farmers and their tourism ctivities. We are not a booking site but believe passionately in creating a healthy rural economy in South Africa.
What should Tour Operators do?
Different types of Agritourism:
- Most farmers are reluctant to accept more than 10 visitors at any one time. This is because, on working farms, there has to control over the group, as in most cases heavy machinery is at work. Safety of visitors, particularly children, is a concern for the farmer.
- Once a package has been selected and the date and time confirmed, the farmer will ask for pre-payment.
- On arrival, please park the cars/busses on the field area which the farmer has marked out.
- Upon arrival, the tour leader must go to the reception office. The farmer will then welcome you and take you to the area where the tour will be conducted.
Tour Operators and farmers
- Study tours for technical training and education of foreign farmers.
- Farm families
- Pre-packaged tours
- Agricultural education and training study tours
- Students on study tours and/or on-farm trainees
- Scenic attractions
- Cultural centres
- Country homes, barns, mills, etc.
- Pick-your own farms
- Bus tour groups
- School children.
- Senior citizens
- Farm stay visitors
- Sunday drivers
- 4 x 4 drivers
The One-off joining fee is R500
Membership Fee: R1750 per annum
Please provide a minimum of 7 images.
- Be innovative
- Have a Quality product
- Be Consist
- Be Unique
- Be Friendly
- Be Patient
- Be Flexible and adaptable – a farm environment is not perfect – there are weather and other uncontrollable factors, that the farmer cannot predict.
One of the images will be used for the header the rest are for the gallery. Click here
for an example. Please send large images (minimum 1200px wide, 72dpi)
Agritourism Africa (Pty) Ltd
Business Current Account
Account Number: 270 250 107
Branch: Business Online
Please send proof of payment to: firstname.lastname@example.org