WHAT IS AGRITOURISM?
Agritourism is a growing international phenomenon. It is any tourist activity happening on a farm and linked to the farm's activities and attractions. This can include agricultural activities such as milking cows at the dairy, shearing wool, harvesting crops, culling herds, filing agricultural implements, tasting and buying farm produce. Using the farm's resources for game viewing, birding, biking, hiking, fishing, and all part of Agritourism. Boarding and lodging on the farm is a bonus and not a necessity.
An Agritourism farm must be a working farm. It offers farmers the opportunity to earn additional revenue with existing resources.
WHO IS AGRITOURISM AFRICA?
Agritourism Africa is the link between interested tourists and all the role players in Agritourism. It serves as an information hub highlighting tourism experience on farms across Africa, allowing local and international tourists to incorporate visits to these farms as part of their travel plans.
Agritourism Africa provides advice and guidance to its members, assist members with marketing and promotions, and represent Agritourism at governmental, tourism and organized agricultural institutions.
This is not a booking portal; our core focus is on farmers, farming and combining this with tourism.
This is the only Agritourism Association in Africa, building a strong and recognizable brand that stands for integrity.
WHO IS AGRITOURISM SOUTH AFRICA (NPO 175-957)
Agritourism South Africa is all of the above, but is managed as a Non-profit organization. We are there to assist and support the South African and African farmer.
Both entities are trademarked and copyright and information and support is for members only.
WHO CAN JOIN AGRITOURISM AFRICA?
Membership of Agritourism Africa is open to anyone with an interest in Agritourism. Any farmer or service provider who has a working farm that is tourism friendly. This includes:
- Tour Operators
- Tour Guides
- Agricultural service providers
- Any private sector or industry body or individual institution with an interest and mandate to support development of Agritourism in South Africa and Africa.
Annual membership fees are applicable.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS TO MEMBERS OF AGRITOURISM AFRICA?
- Liaison with stakeholders including tourism associations, agricultural organizations and government.
- Pioneering and championing the development of the Agritourism sector in South Africa and Africa.
- Information and guidance on all aspects of Agritourism.
- Marketing, website listing and Social Media communication and campaigns (note: we are not a booking site).
- Production of a promotional video. (T&C's apply)
- Promoting Agritourism to national and international tourists with the aim of benefiting the farmers and rural communities.
- Participation in Exhibitions and Trade Shows.
- Speaking at conferences to educate delegates on Agritourism.
- Research conducted on behalf of farmers with regards to Agritourism.
- Assist members with establishing tourism accommodation on farms (such as camp sites).
- Assist with enterprise development (such as innovative small-scale start-ups on the farm) operated by the labour force and co-experiences aimed at visiting tourists.
- Educational monthly newsletter with tourism news and opportunities.
- Accredited International Journalist who regularly writes and communicates with the media about our members and agritourism.
HOW TO JOIN?
Sign up for Membership.
It's quick and easy to create a listing on Agritourism Africa. Describe your farm and accommodation, add photos and submit - visit Become a Member to get started.
HOW CAN YOU, AS A TOURIST, BECOME INVOLVED?
Agritourism Africa provides local and international tourists with a information portal to farms in South Africa and Africa that offers some or other form of tourist activity or attraction. We are unique in that we are the only Agritourism Association in South Africa.
To find out more about our farms - visit Explore Agritourism
A MEMBER OF