Becoming a member of the Association of Agritourism South Africa has several benefits:
The Benefits to members are:
Benefits for Tourism Industry/Operators:
- Marketing of members farms, including social media marketing.
- Website listings of all farmer members with photographs and a detailed explanation of services / products on offer. (note: we are not a booking site)
- Written media articles by Jacqui Taylor, an International Accredited Journalist.
- Free video footage by LensTracks. This footage can be used by members for marketing purposes. (T&C's apply)
- Educational presentations to interest groups about Agritourism.
- Consulting to farmer members telephonically or in writing to ensure the potential of Agritourism initiatives is realized.
- Representation at exhibitions and consumer shows.
- Regular communication with journalists and all media channels.
- Educational monthly newsletter on members sent to influential leaders and tourism companies.
- Contributing to the Responsible and Sustainable Tourism Mandate of the South African Tourism Industry.
- Providing a more diversified portfolio of tourism products / services for tourists.
- Introduction to Agritourism Routes and Family Farms
- Providing Alternative tourist activities that could fill a gap during traditionally off-peak business periods.
- Supporting local economic growth through Sustainable Agritourism Initiatives
Farm seasons differ from farm to farm depending on the type of farming in the geographical area. We have developed the website, so the tourism industry can directly contact the farmer to find out what months are best for Agritourism bookings. We are the only professional body in South Africa that focuses on farmers and their tourism ctivities. We are not a booking site but believe passionately in creating a healthy rural economy in South Africa.
What should Tour Operators do?
Different types of Agritourism:
- Most farmers are reluctant to accept more than 10 visitors at any one time. This is because, on working farms, there has to control over the group, as in most cases heavy machinery is at work. Safety of visitors, particularly children, is a concern for the farmer.
- Once a package has been selected and the date and time confirmed, the farmer will ask for pre-payment.
- On arrival, please park the cars/busses on the field area which the farmer has marked out.
- Upon arrival, the tour leader must go to the reception office. The farmer will then welcome you and take you to the area where the tour will be conducted.
Tour Operators and farmers
- Study tours for technical training and education of foreign farmers.
- Farm families
- Pre-packaged tours
- Agricultural education and training study tours
- Students on study tours and/or on-farm trainees
- Scenic attractions
- Cultural centres
- Country homes, barns, mills, etc.
- Pick-your own farms
- Bus tour groups
- School children.
- Senior citizens
- Farm stay visitors
- Sunday drivers
- 4 x 4 drivers
The Once-off joining fee is R500
Membership Fee: R3 000 per annum
Please provide a minimum of 7 images.
- Be innovative
- Have a Quality product
- Be Consist
- Be Unique
- Be Friendly
- Be Patient
- Be Flexible and adaptable – a farm environment is not perfect – there are weather and other uncontrollable factors, that the farmer cannot predict.
One of the images will be used for the header the rest are for the gallery. Click here
for an example. Please send large images (minimum 1200px wide, 72dpi)
Agritourism Africa (Pty) Ltd
Business Current Account
Account Number: 270 250 107
Branch: Business Online
Please send proof of payment to: email@example.com